Scott LiPera ResumeBlog
Saturday, February 19, 2005
Scott D. LiPera
San Francisco, CA
Management Consultant and IT Engagement Manager with 10 years experience selling & leading consulting engagements, managing client relationships, implementing enterprise software, redesigning business processes, and building teams. Unique experience leading both consulting and operational teams. Consistently recognized for unwavering customer focus, leadership, initiative, decisiveness, and collaborative work style.
- Proven relationship manager able to listen to customers and build rapport at all levels within Fortune 500 firms to startups, including AT&T, MCI, First Data Corp., SBC, IBM, Motorola, BMW Financial Services, and others.
- Successful project manager displaying keen analytical abilities, attention to detail, risk management skills, and effective utilization of resources to deliver $1-3M projects with exceptional customer satisfaction scores.
- Effective customer advocate able to provide leadership across the organization to ensure customer needs are met
- MBA from Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley
Business Consultant 2001-Pres
Strategy, operations & IT consultant helping companies improve overall customer focus by aligning operational strategy, service delivery processes, and IT system requirements.
- Program managed $30M reorganization program of leading insurance carrier, overseeing 3 project teams; project led to $7M savings in year 0 and on track for $12M savings in 2005
- Created new service delivery strategy for technology services provider that needed to adapt to economic realities of reduced-telecomm-spending environment. Focused on new business architecture and enabling technology that would improve cash flow by $40M over 3 years and improve customer satisfaction. Presented to entire executive team.
- Reengineered service delivery processes to reduce service delivery cycle times by 25% and error rates
by 50%, both key drivers of customer satisfaction; presented findings to executive team at key
- Defined operational strategy to improve premier retailer’s ($3B revenue) contact center performance by 10% in FY04, which includes company’s first major customer service IT upgrade. Worked closely with vice president and directors of customer care.
- Led consulting SWAT team to stabilize customer service and back office issues a leading retailer was experiencing in their call center operations, leading to overall customer satisfaction improvement during peak holiday period; worked extensively with customer care leadership team.
Senior Manager, Professional Services 1999-2001
Cygent(acquired by Convergys), San Francisco, CA
Led consulting team that delivered approximately 15% of corporate revenue for enterprise software startup building customer management solutions. Responsible for selling, staffing & overseeing customer engagements, managing multiple project managers and technical architects, and ensuring overall customer satisfaction.
- Influenced Accenture to modify implementation strategy to avoid marginalizing Cygent in overall solution, which would have jeopardized future opportunities and licensing revenue – potentially $200K annually.
- Closed deals with sales team by presenting solutions to business sponsors & IT managers; negotiated
contracts, terms & conditions, and statements of work for all professional services fees; sold follow-on professional services engagements
- Sold and led customer management project for communications service provider, working directly with CIO
and other executives; led to full automation of provisioning and customer care processes, cycle time
reduction of 50% and operating cost reduction of 33%.
- Advised CIO on service delivery architecture to support rapidly growing business and change in corporate strategy
- Managed proof-of-concept prototype to win key strategic customer
- Managed cross-functional team to support new Cygent releases; contributed to improving service delivery margins by 10-15%.
- Worked with product management, product development and sales to develop targeted solutions to specific
customer pain points, which led to incremental revenue gains of 10-20%.
- Developed project methodology, which contributed to delivery of 25 on-time projects with average customer satisfaction score of 4.3 on 5.0 scale
- Developed performance management system, which reduced managers’ time to write evaluations and improved overall morale within group by facilitating more timely and relevant performance feedback.
- Coached several team members, improving their performance and ability to interact with customers, which resulted in very favorable customer satisfaction scores on their behalf
Manager, Management Consulting Practice 1998-1999
Cambridge Technology Partners, San Francisco, CA
Led consulting teams delivering to Fortune 100 and middle-market clients, mostly in high tech and financial services.
- Built relationships with CEO and CFO, which led to follow-on work at financial services firm
- Coached managers on effective communications and meeting management, and created strong rapport with influential core group, which contributed greatly to project’s success at financial services firm
- Led process innovation effort for Fortune 100 financial services firm, which reduced cycle time by 50% and created annual savings of $11.5M; included make vs. buy decision, RFP process, and architecture decisions
- Led change management team for reengineering effort of major U.S. automaker’s finance department
- Facilitated executive team's development of a business strategy for financial services firm.
- Developed Balanced Scorecard system for financial services firm that led to more meaningful metrics, greater linkage between department goals and overall corporate objectives, and 30% reduction in reports
- Led call center redesign effort for technology company to support launch of new platform, which improved processes and metrics to support 33% increase in call volume while reducing headcount
Manager, Strategy Practice 1997-1998
CNgroup (acquired by CommerceOne), Palo Alto, CA
- Authored market-entry strategy for proprietary e-payment technology for Global 100 firm, leading them to not enter US market, which in hindsight proved prescient.
- Managed relationship with first client and lead investor, a large Japanese telecommunications provider, enabling firm to bootstrap its product development.
- Evangelized CNG’s prescient vision of XML as de facto data exchange language, positioning firm as technology leader.
MBA Candidate 1995-1997
Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley
Consultant to several firms in a variety of areas as part of course of study, including AirTouch Communications (now Vodafone), Cambridge Technology Partners, NetChannel (acquired by AOL), and Project Open Hand.
- Co-authored white paper titled “The Internet – Marketplace for The New Economy”, which in 1996 was an early prognostication of the utility of the Internet
- Developed web-based customer service strategy and architecture for AirTouch, which was adopted conceptually prior to AirTouch’s acquisition by Vodafone
- Conducted market research study, including conjoint analyis, for NetChannel to help determine target market and advertising strategy
Manager, Global Customer Services 1993-1995
Applied Materials, Santa Clara, CA
Promoted 3 times in 2 years while building a new product division’s customer support team, which was responsible for all aspects of customer care, including sales support, implementation, technical support, and product feedback.
- Built relationships with key senior technical staff at AT&T Labs, IBM, Motorola, and DEC, which helped overcome early shortcomings of the technology and kept AMAT as oxide etch vendor of choice
- Turned around deteriorating relationship with strategic customer by focusing on their needs and creating communications channel with key technologists; save $2M in potentially lost revenue
- Managed engineering retrofit project; achieved ~10% savings on a $3M+ budget.
- Built processes and tools for predicting and managing >$10M in warranty budgets; decreased reserves by ~10%
- Improved collection of final installation payments by customers; improved revenue recognition by ~2 months
- Managed product feedback process, acting as primary interface with customers and field personnel to capture and drive key product improvements, including key critical software upgrades, back to product management.
- Recruited and trained team of 3 account managers, 10 field engineers, and technical trainer
Masters of Business Administration
Haas School of Business
University of California at Berkeley
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude
University of Southern California
- StarTrax 2000 - annual telecommunications conference sponsored by RHK, Inc., an industry analyst firm. Topic: “Impact of Customer Care in Operational Support Systems Deployment”. November 2000, Palm Springs, CA
- Business in the Knowledge Era - conference sponsored by the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro for the Brazilian business community. Topic: “Effects of a Network Economy on the Organization”. September 1998, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Electronic Payments Forum - semi-annual conference for businesses with interests in electronic payment technology and strategies. Topic: “Business Relevance of ePayment Technology”. February 1998, San Francisco, CA.
- Stanford University-Japan Business Consortium - Stanford-sponsored events for exposing Japanese business managers to Silicon Valley business & technology trends. Topic: “The Next Generation of Commerce”. October 1997, Palo Alto, CA
- United States Navy - served as lieutenant aboard nuclear powered submarine, earning 4 Navy Achievement Medals for exceptional leadership and personnel development
- Software Development Forum - co-chair of the Web Services Special Interest Group, a monthly gathering of business and technology professionals with an interest in how business will capitalize on web services. Also, general member of this Silicon Valley professional group
- Software Project Management Professional Guild - a professional organization of software project managers that provides professional development, and consulting and employment opportunities.
- Net Impact - co-chair of the Bay Area professional chapter of this network of emerging business leaders committed to using the power of business to create a better world through social and environmental responsibility
- Science Buddies - volunteer mentor in science topics to junior high school students entering science fairs